Here, you can find out how we safeguard your information and how we use it to improve our products and services for the benefit of all our readers and website users.
(Updated 04 April 2020)
The nature of our business means that, from time to time, we'll require some personal details from our readers and website users.
The data we collect could just be a name and an email address, but depending on your level of engagement with COVID-19 Global Health Diaries, it could be more than that.
The personal information you've shared with us, along with data on how you use our websites - what you read, for example - help us to better understand our readers. This in turn helps us to improve the website and its content.
- How we protect your data
- What information does COVID-19 Global Health Diaries collect about me?
- How does COVID-19 Global Health Diaries collect my personal information?
- What will COVID-19 Global Health Diaries do with my personal information?
- Email marketing and opt-out
- How does COVID-19 Global Health Diaries keep my personal information safe?
- Will COVID-19 Global Health Diaries share my personal information with anyone else?
- Will COVID-19 Global Health Diaries send my personal information outside of Europe?
- What if I am under 18 years old?
- Contacting COVID-19 Global Health Diaries
How we protect your data
When you share your personal information with any company, you have a right to expect that information to be treated with total confidentiality.
Your privacy is extremely important to us. We're committed to protecting any personal information you've given us, and we comply with all relevant data protection laws.
This means that:
- We take full responsibility for the information we hold about you
- We will protect your privacy at all times
- We will never sell your personal information Whether you've supplied your personal details online, by phone or text, by email or in a meeting, we will never use them without a lawful reason to do so.
- what information we collect about you
- how we collect and use this information
- how we safeguard the information you've provided
- how to report abuse
At COVID-19 Global Health Diaries, we know that you care how your personal information is used and we appreciate that you trust us to do that carefully and sensibly.
If you wish to comment via the Disqus comments feature, please ensure that you opt out of their marketing program if you wish to do so.
What information does COVID-19 Global Health Diaries collect about me?
Personal information that we collect may include your name, contact details (phone numbers, email address and addresses), job, and data about the pages you visit and your other activity on our site, as well as any other personal information relating to you that you supply to us.
The website may also collect other information that you supply to us, such as information relating to your education, skills or job experience, where relevant in the context of the site or the services provided through the site. Except where stated otherwise on the site at the time such personal information is submitted, it is only processed for the purposes for which you have submitted it to us.
How does COVID-19 Global Health Diaries collect my personal information?
We collect your information in two ways:
- Personal information you choose to disclose. You may, for example, provide us with your information when you register for any features on our site that require registration, or when you contact us (online or offline).
In a separate automatic operation the web server will collect your IP address and browser type and details of the website, application or email communication you came from before entering our site. This information is used to:
- work out how many times our site has been visited
- record which parts of our site have been visited so we can improve the content and layout of the site
- understand the effectiveness of our email communications.
We may from time to time supply this data to third parties in an anonymised form for uses in connection with our site.
What will COVID-19 Global Health Diaries do with my personal information?
We may use your personal information, for example, to provide you with the relevant service, to process your registration, to inform you about new website features, for marketing, statistical or analytical purposes to invite you to participate in surveys, discussions and prize draws and ask for your views on our services via online surveys and to detect, prevent or investigate security breaches or fraud and otherwise to better meet the needs and preferences of our writers and readers.
We will not allow unrelated third parties to use your personal information for marketing except for Disqus comment feature. Please manually opt out if you would like to opt out from Disqus marketing.
We also use anonymised personal information to audit how our sites are used, and to help with the strategic development of our sites. When doing so, we remove any direct identifiers.
Email marketing and opt-out
We will not send you marketing emails if you have opted out of receiving them. Any marketing emails we send you will include an unsubscribe link at the end of the email.
How does COVID-19 Global Health Diaries keep my personal information safe?
We seek to protect the safety of all your personal information by implementing appropriate technical and organisational measures. For example, provided your browser accepts Secure Sockets Layer encryption, we seek to protect your personal information against unauthorised access through a secure server. Where we use third parties to process personal information, we require them to ensure the safety of your information. We use appropriate security measures on our own systems, but the internet is not a secure medium and we cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted via the internet.
Will COVID-19 Global Health Diaries share my personal information with anyone else?
We will never sell your personal information. We may disclose and share your personal information:
- within our working group
Will COVID-19 Global Health Diaries send my personal information outside of Europe?
What if I am under 18 years old?
You agree not to misuse any personal information available on our Site or to gather it or use robots or other automated scripts, codes or functionalities to do so.
Contacting COVID-19 Global Health Diaries
COVID-19 Global Health Diaries
16 Kinghorn Road
NR2 3QP, UK
or email us at info@ covid19healthdiaries.com